A ring tone from the chest pack will tell Felix he has broken the speed of sound.
It's a one-of-a-kind technology hub no bigger than a lunch pail. Felix's chest pack houses monitoring, tracking, and communications systems.
This chest pack was designed with Felix's comfort and balance in mind. It's not too heavy or cumbersome to wear over his pressurized suit while still maintaing a streamlined shape. Think of it as a mail box in terms of size and purpose. All the data recorded inside the chest pack will report Felix's speed, position, and altitude back to Mission Control.
Here's the list of gadgets contained inside:
- The voice transmitter and receiver that connect to his helmet.
- GPS beacons to track his position.
- Telemetry equipment (which enables data capture and monitoring from long distances).
- An HD camera with a 120-degree view that encompasses Felix's faceplate as well as the ground below when Felix is in his streamlined, angled "delta" position.
- A package that will be used by the world governing body for air sports and aeronautical world records (the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) to verify the records Felix hopes to establish.
- An inertia measurement unit (IMU) that will report altitude (pitch/angle) and spin.